Rules I Live By
I got this idea from Craig Ballantyne of www.earlytorise.com. He talks about a set of documents that he reads every single day. I created a document of my own called "Rules I Live By". It's reproduced below. I read this document every single morning. It's a fantastic reminder of the way I want to live my life, and it helps me adhere to the rules more closely as I move through my day. Why rely on your mind to remember how you want to live your life, when you could just remind yourself every day and keep those ideas fresh? I purposely use the present tense instead of the future. I feel like say "I will" makes it about doing something tomorrow. "I am" or "I do" means it is something I need to do today. Still working on abs 3 x per week....
If you find this idea helpful, steal anything you like. Get rid of what you don't like and replace it with your own set of rules to live by.
Rules I Live By
1. It’s not about you. It doesn’t matter. It’s not about you.
2. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.
3. I focus on my goals rather than my impulses.
4. I choose decisions and responses instead of judgments and reactions.
5. I surround myself with people who inspire me to become a better person.
6. I act with honesty and love.
7. I move beyond myself for my family, my friends, my community, my world.
8. Discipline and compassion.
9. I work out 7 x per week. I do abs 3 x per week.
10. Don’t strategize. Prioritize.
11. I get out of my comfort zone. I make the courageous choice.
12. Fake it till you make it. I can do anything I set my sights on.
13. Follow the algorithm. Do the work, spend the time, put forth the energy. Let go of the results.
14. I accept failure as both a necessity of life and an opportunity to learn.
15. I stop and smell the roses, live in the moment, and find something to be grateful for every day.
16. I forgive myself. I let every day be a genuine fresh start.
17. Right thought, right speech, right action. In our minds, on our lips, and in our hearts.